Update- New York Chatter
Evening Dolls,
So I have been MIA for ages now I know. I felt really uninspired with blogging lately because I wasn't sure what direction I wanted to take my writing in. However, I am back and felling inspired once more. Now I don't know if I mentioned in previous post that I planed to moved to New York, But as you can probably tell by the title of this post, I actually did move over in November. As of today I have been in New York now for four months and I thought I'd talk a bit about my experience.
First off moving to a new city is hard. You will hear some people who have it really easy getting set up, they settle in right away and starting living the life you imagine yourself having in said city. I hate those people! I on the other hand, didn't have it that easy.
I was very naive when I planed on moving over, I'll admit that now. I did do some research before I came over and even though people told me it would be hard, I didn't listen. People writing these articles always had split opinions what its like moving to New York. Everyone's experiences are different and like I said some people have it easy and others not so much. I moved over with the intention that I was going to have a job and find an apartment within two weeks. Yeaaahhhhh that did not happened. Why I thought that would be the case I don't know. I realize now that I could have been so much more prepared and it may have made things easier. However, I feel like no matter how much research you do on a place your never going to know what to expect when you actually arrive.
I moved here because I didn't want to stay at home anymore. I wanted to find myself as cringey as that sounds. There is so much more to do in NYC than in Ireland. I thought New York life would be somewhat similar to what you see on sex and the city or girls. Okay I kinda knew it wasn't going to be like that, a girl can dream! Everyone in New York is constantly moving, new people come into your life all the time, which makes it hard to find people to hang out with. You really need to work harder in doing stuff with people in order to keep in contact with them as New Yorkers will forget you in a blink of an eye. So it was hard to make any friends out here. I had a couple of people in work who I was friendly with and would go for drinks with, but now that I don't work with them anymore, I don't hear from them. Its not until I moved into my apartment and started a new job in an Irish Bar that I finally found people to actually be friendly with. Yet, they were Irish and in the same boat as I was. Irish people seem to stick to there own, its probably the same with every nationality.
Its only after being out here for three months that I finally settled in, I fell like I still will be settling in by the time I decide to go back to college in Europe.
I was having a really shitty time around Christmas as I hadn't got properly set up over here and trying to find a good apartment that I could afford was very difficult. People don't joke around when they say that New York City is very expensive!!! I am Broke. After New Years I got let go form my job for no apparent reason. I didn't really care, they were horrible to work for and they under paid me and basically tried to convince me that I was hired with the understanding that was how much I was going to get paid. However, I had just moved into a new apartment and the idea of not having a job and having all theses bills to pay really stressed me out. I also hated the idea of looking for a new job. Especially in January when there is virtually no jobs going. I actually considered coming home, the only reason why I stayed wasn't because It was New York the best place in the world according to many. I stayed simply because I didn't want to fail. I wanted to really stick at it. I knew if I gave up when it got a little tough I would regret it. So I stuck it out and came out on top.
I have by no means concurred New York and I don't know if I have found my calling, and I don't know if I will. I have learned that life isn't as easy it seems. Its okay to be alone and to do thinks by yourself. Also Fuck what other people think of you. I don't care anymore what others think of me because if I enjoy doing something then why should I care. I'm not going to let other people stop me from doing things. Before I came here I was so afraid of people judging me, but now I see so many different people come and go, they don't care what I think, so why should I?
Everyday is something new and I feel like you have to take a leap of faith when it comes to making big decisions. You only live once as they say, so Seize the day and take chances. You never know where they may lead you. I am going to leave you today with one of my favorite quotes-
"Carpe Diem, Quam Minimum Credula Postero"- Horace
Till next time,
Emma x.
I was very naive when I planed on moving over, I'll admit that now. I did do some research before I came over and even though people told me it would be hard, I didn't listen. People writing these articles always had split opinions what its like moving to New York. Everyone's experiences are different and like I said some people have it easy and others not so much. I moved over with the intention that I was going to have a job and find an apartment within two weeks. Yeaaahhhhh that did not happened. Why I thought that would be the case I don't know. I realize now that I could have been so much more prepared and it may have made things easier. However, I feel like no matter how much research you do on a place your never going to know what to expect when you actually arrive.
I moved here because I didn't want to stay at home anymore. I wanted to find myself as cringey as that sounds. There is so much more to do in NYC than in Ireland. I thought New York life would be somewhat similar to what you see on sex and the city or girls. Okay I kinda knew it wasn't going to be like that, a girl can dream! Everyone in New York is constantly moving, new people come into your life all the time, which makes it hard to find people to hang out with. You really need to work harder in doing stuff with people in order to keep in contact with them as New Yorkers will forget you in a blink of an eye. So it was hard to make any friends out here. I had a couple of people in work who I was friendly with and would go for drinks with, but now that I don't work with them anymore, I don't hear from them. Its not until I moved into my apartment and started a new job in an Irish Bar that I finally found people to actually be friendly with. Yet, they were Irish and in the same boat as I was. Irish people seem to stick to there own, its probably the same with every nationality.
Its only after being out here for three months that I finally settled in, I fell like I still will be settling in by the time I decide to go back to college in Europe.
I was having a really shitty time around Christmas as I hadn't got properly set up over here and trying to find a good apartment that I could afford was very difficult. People don't joke around when they say that New York City is very expensive!!! I am Broke. After New Years I got let go form my job for no apparent reason. I didn't really care, they were horrible to work for and they under paid me and basically tried to convince me that I was hired with the understanding that was how much I was going to get paid. However, I had just moved into a new apartment and the idea of not having a job and having all theses bills to pay really stressed me out. I also hated the idea of looking for a new job. Especially in January when there is virtually no jobs going. I actually considered coming home, the only reason why I stayed wasn't because It was New York the best place in the world according to many. I stayed simply because I didn't want to fail. I wanted to really stick at it. I knew if I gave up when it got a little tough I would regret it. So I stuck it out and came out on top.
I have by no means concurred New York and I don't know if I have found my calling, and I don't know if I will. I have learned that life isn't as easy it seems. Its okay to be alone and to do thinks by yourself. Also Fuck what other people think of you. I don't care anymore what others think of me because if I enjoy doing something then why should I care. I'm not going to let other people stop me from doing things. Before I came here I was so afraid of people judging me, but now I see so many different people come and go, they don't care what I think, so why should I?
Everyday is something new and I feel like you have to take a leap of faith when it comes to making big decisions. You only live once as they say, so Seize the day and take chances. You never know where they may lead you. I am going to leave you today with one of my favorite quotes-
"Carpe Diem, Quam Minimum Credula Postero"- Horace
Till next time,
Emma x.
CONVERSATION