Travel Diary- Venice
Good Evening Dolls,
While still in Slovenia, we decided to take a day trip to
Venice. We took the train which took us five hours, we left at 6am so we got
there early enough. Venice is a beautiful city. It is obviously a very old city
and it does have that medieval feel to it. However, as beautiful Venice is, it
is really hard to navigate around, a lot of the streets look somewhat similar
and there really are no proper signs that point in certain directions.
Which as you can imagine adds to the difficulty in finding your bearings. Despite getting lost more than once we managed to get to Saint Marc’s basilica. It’s a beautiful building, so to is the square around it. We did not go into the basilica as the line was way too long, but I do believe the line was moving fast, so it might be worth waiting on line if you have the time.
Which as you can imagine adds to the difficulty in finding your bearings. Despite getting lost more than once we managed to get to Saint Marc’s basilica. It’s a beautiful building, so to is the square around it. We did not go into the basilica as the line was way too long, but I do believe the line was moving fast, so it might be worth waiting on line if you have the time.
The street behind the square is where all the high end
stores are, which are nice to look around. Obviously I couldn’t shop in any of
them poor people problems!! However if you couldn’t afford the real deal there
was people actually selling fakes outside the doors, kind of ironic. Every so
often when you were wondering around you would see them all running through the
crowds with all the bags up their arms, it was a funny sight to say the least.
At first I was wondering as to why they were running then you could see the
police coming after them.
We ended walking along the sea front, and got gelato (when
in Rome and all that). We brought our own lunch because we knew that Venice
would be expensive. However from wondering around there seemed to be reasonable
priced places to eat and the gelato was reasonably priced. Yet, if you are
backpacking I would recommend that you do something like we did and make just a
day trip to Venice. There isn’t much to do in Venice on a budget and it is
really expensive to stay there overnight (we checked/ around 20euro per night),
whereas our accommodation was only 14 euro a night in Bled. So it worked out a
lot cheaper just to take a day trip. Plus you get to see what Venice is all
about in just a day.
That’s about all I have to say on Venice, I know it is not
all that insightful, however I was only there for a couple of hours so we did
not get to do anything all that exciting. We did not get go on a gondola ride
as it was around 70 euro which is seriously overpriced. Maybe if I ever go back
with a rich husband I’ll take a gondola ;)
Till next time,
Emma x.










CONVERSATION