Travel Dairy- Berlin
Hey Dolls,
I know it has been
almost a month since I last posted (Shameful I know). I have no excuses as to
why I haven’t been keeping up with writing except for the fact that I just
haven’t been in the mood for it. Pure laziness. However I am back with the next
instalment of my travel segment. So picking up from where I left off, we were
in Amsterdam and from there we moved on to Berlin. I was beyond excited to go
to Berlin because of all its history, and the city really didn’t disappoint
with that.
The first day in Berlin we went on the free walking tour
around the city. I definitely would recommend doing this if you’re in Berlin
and want to see most of the sights in one day. Our tour guide was really
informative about the history of the city and was just good fun. You get to see
the likes of the Brandenburg gate, memorial for the murdered Jews of Europe (which
is the area with all the different sized grey blocks in case you’re wondering) and
Hitler’s Bunker well where the bunker was its now just a car park and loads of
other cool areas around the city.
Museum Island was another place we visited, it used to be
where the royal family used to live but now it is just filled with a bunch of
different museums, hence the name. I must say they really out did themselves
with the museum buildings. Each building was made to resemble the type of museum
it was, which was really cool. We decided to go to the Dutchland museum which
as you can probably tell is all about German history. It was only 4 euro entry
for students and if you had the patience for it you could literally spend all
day in there the place was huge! Following on from then went to see the Berlin
wall, now we didn’t get over to the east side gallery unfortunately, we went to
a different part that was beside another museum/exhibition centre that was all
about the Nazi regime (can’t remember the name of the place)
Berlin Nightlife on the other hand was an interesting
experience. The first night we went out to probably the most Hipster area I’ve
ever been in. If my memory serves me correctly we were in the Prenzlauer Berg
area. This place had the coolest bars ever, it had such a chilled vibe. However,
be warned if you are going out to nightclubs and all that jazz in Berlin, try and
do so in an orderly manner as they have a serious issue with people being too
loud. We experienced this first hand. Also
my recommendation would be to try have a few words in German. What happened to
us was we were with a group of German speakers and apparently we were being too
loud but those in the group who spoke German weren’t and they were let in and
we weren’t. So you can imagine how that looked to us. This may not be the case
with all nightclubs but that was just our experience so just be on the ball and
try not to be too drunk and disorderly around the streets of Berlin.
Overall though Berlin was one of my favourite places I have
been and I defiantly want to take a trip back there soon.
Emma x.







CONVERSATION